[rsc] Fwd: Library/History notes and report from Peggy Gardner

  • From: Gwylene Gallimard and Jean-Marie Mauclet <jemagwga@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RSC <RSC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:08:15 -0400

Here is the report of the workgroup from Azule which studied the Library project. This gives us more information on where Azule stands for this project and what RSC ROOTS may attempt to influence or partner with, if any.
Have a great weekend. Gwylene

Azule Library Committee Report

March 13, 2010

Folly Beach, SC

Present: Betsy Reiser, Peggy Gardner, Lorrie Jayne

Using the SWOT method, the Library Committee attempted to assess its realities. We identified the following:

Strengths:

    • we have materials, including slides and past projects

    • we have a workable space with nooks and crannies

    • we have a people network which includes our natural historian, Camille

    • our project is something both needed and wanted, and could possibly qualify for grants

    • our space provides a unique and rare place of quiet for study

Weaknesses:

    • we wouldn’t know quite how to get grant money

    • we have limited energy and time

    • there is an on-site dust problem

    • we need a person or way to protect valuables

Opportunities:

    • could become enriching resource for the community

    • could serve as a place for art books, manuals, and history items to live and be cared for, even treasured

    • could be a place for college students to intern

    • could use Doc Kimberly’s office renovation as Historic Preservation workshops

    • Doc’s office could serve as a Bluff time travel exhibit

Threats
    • need on-site supervision, a ‛librarian’ - not Camille

    • if overabundance of donations, need collection policies and guidelines

    • time

We formulated some goals using the SMART method:

Specific:

    • identify our space

    • buy Nasalcrom

    • help Camille move things out

    • make inventory of present holdings

    • conduct oral history interviews with Camille, Gwylene, Jean-Marie, and Harold

    • create a better parking and entrance experience

Measurable? Attainable? Realistic? Yes

Timely? Yes, if we follow our timeline.

Our timeline for the next three years:

2010:

Cleaning, moving, inventory and oral histories

Continue work on slide project

2011:

Make ‛scrapbooks’ or folders of past projects

Determine collection guidelines, procedures

Finish slide project

Make new goals

2012:

Open our library