[rsc] Re: DC/MD Folks: Amnesty International Human Rights Arts Festival

  • From: Laura Schandelmeier <laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc <rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:31:55 -0400

Hey Melanie,

Thanks so much for your e-mail.  We had no idea that this festival was going
on!  We would love to sign up for your workshop on Sunday.  Can we do this
through you or must we go to the web site?

Looking forward,

Laura and Stephen

On 4/18/10 9:24 PM, "Melanie St. Ours" <melaniest.ours@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear RSC,
>
> I'm very much looking forward to seeing many of you in Atlanta!
>
> If you live in MD/DC and have some time next weekend, please come check out
> the Amnesty International Human Rights Arts Festival, happening in downtown
> Silver Spring. Marietta Hedges, a new ROOTS member, will be presenting, as
> will I---not to mention scores of other artists from a wide variety of
> disciplines. All events are free and open to the public. Check out the full
> festival program here: http://www.humanrightsartfestival.com/
>
> The announcement for the workshop I'm giving is below. It's given in
> conjunction with my current project, How to be a Human, a devised play built
> through inter-generational collaboration and dialogue. Check out our blog at
> http://www.forhumansbyhumans.wordpress.com ; .
>
> Please forward this to any local artists, change-makers, or community member
> who might like to come play with us on Sunday.
>

> Workshop Title: Our Histories: Story-gathering and Performance
>
> Time: Sunday, April 25 from 2:30-4pm
>
> Location: Dance Recital Studio (2nd Floor), Montgomery College Performing Arts
> Center
>
> Workshop Description: As artists, activists, and peace-builders, how do we
> cultivate oral  histories of resistance, learn from our elders, and celebrate
> our  identities? Using community-based theater and oral history processes,
> this workshop will create space for participants to learn theater and  oral
> history techniques for use in community settings and to have a deep
> experience of the power of collectively co-creating original theater.
> Techniques to be used will include story circles, interview, Theater of  the
> Oppressed, and group devising, culminating in new pieces of  theatrical
> expression to be shared with the group. The workshop is given  in conjunction
> with a larger playbuilding process that is currently  ongoing in the Northwest
> One neighborhood of Washington DC entitled How  to be a Human that will be
> presented at the Capital Fringe Festival  2010. There is space for up to 25
> participants. Free and open to the public.

---
Laura Schandelmeier & Stephen Clapp
Co-Artistic Directors
Dance Box Theater, Inc.