[rsc] DC/MD Folks: Amnesty International Human Rights Arts Festival

  • From: "Melanie St. Ours" <melaniest.ours@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:24:37 -0400

Dear RSC,

I'm very much looking forward to seeing many of you in Atlanta!

If you live in MD/DC and have some time next weekend, please come check out
the Amnesty International Human Rights Arts Festival, happening in downtown
Silver Spring. Marietta Hedges, a new ROOTS member, will be presenting, as
will I---not to mention scores of other artists from a wide variety of
disciplines. All events are free and open to the public. Check out the full
festival program here: http://www.humanrightsartfestival.com/

The announcement for the workshop I'm giving is below. It's given in
conjunction with my current project, *How to be a Human*, a devised play
built through inter-generational collaboration and dialogue. Check out our
blog at http://www.forhumansbyhumans.wordpress.com  .

Please forward this to any local artists, change-makers, or community member
who might like to come play with us on Sunday.

Workshop Title: Our Histories: Story-gathering and Performance

Time: Sunday, April 25 from 2:30-4pm

Location: Dance Recital Studio (2nd Floor), Montgomery College Performing
Arts Center

Workshop Description: As artists, activists, and peace-builders, how do we
cultivate oral histories of resistance, learn from our elders, and celebrate
our identities? Using community-based theater and oral history processes,
this workshop will create space for participants to learn theater and oral
history techniques for use in community settings and to have a deep
experience of the power of collectively co-creating original theater.
Techniques to be used will include story circles, interview, Theater of the
Oppressed, and group devising, culminating in new pieces of theatrical
expression to be shared with the group. The workshop is given in conjunction
with a larger playbuilding process that is currently ongoing in the
Northwest One neighborhood of Washington DC entitled *How to be a
Human*that will be presented at the Capital Fringe Festival 2010.
There is space
for up to 25 participants. Free and open to the public.