[rsc] Re: rsc Digest V4 #31

  • From: "Ebony Noelle Golden" <furiousflower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "rsc digest users" <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 01:29:46 -0400

Awesome. &nbsp;I will also be there facilitating a performance workshop with
playwrights nina angela mercer and sybil roberts, it's called safe spaces.
&nbsp;Hope to see everyone!

E.

Bettys Daughter Arts Collaborative
Creating Radical Expressiveness in Community
www.bettysdaughterarts.com
Sent from my Palm Pre
On Apr 19, 2010 1:05 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager
&lt;ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; wrote:

rsc Digest      Sun, 18 Apr 2010        Volume: 04  Issue: 031

In This Issue:

                [rsc] DC/MD Folks: Amnesty International Human Rights Arts F

                [rsc] Re: DC/MD Folks: Amnesty International Human Rights Ar

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:24:37 -0400

Subject: [rsc] DC/MD Folks: Amnesty International Human Rights Arts Festival

From: "Melanie St. Ours" &lt;melaniest.ours@xxxxxxxxx&gt;

Dear RSC,

I'm very much looking forward to seeing many of you in Atlanta!

If you live in MD/DC and have some time next weekend, please come check out

the Amnesty International Human Rights Arts Festival, happening in downtown

Silver Spring. Marietta Hedges, a new ROOTS member, will be presenting, as

will I---not to mention scores of other artists from a wide variety of

disciplines. All events are free and open to the public. Check out the full

festival program here: http://www.humanrightsartfestival.com/

The announcement for the workshop I'm giving is below. It's given in

conjunction with my current project, *How to be a Human*, a devised play

built through inter-generational collaboration and dialogue. Check out our

blog at http://www.forhumansbyhumans.wordpress.com  .

Please forward this to any local artists, change-makers, or community member

who might like to come play with us on Sunday.

Workshop Title: Our Histories: Story-gathering and Performance

Time: Sunday, April 25 from 2:30-4pm

Location: Dance Recital Studio (2nd Floor), Montgomery College Performing

Arts Center

Workshop Description: As artists, activists, and peace-builders, how do we

cultivate oral histories of resistance, learn from our elders, and celebrate

our identities? Using community-based theater and oral history processes,

this workshop will create space for participants to learn theater and oral

history techniques for use in community settings and to have a deep

experience of the power of collectively co-creating original theater.

Techniques to be used will include story circles, interview, Theater of the

Oppressed, and group devising, culminating in new pieces of theatrical

expression to be shared with the group. The workshop is given in conjunction

with a larger playbuilding process that is currently ongoing in the

Northwest One neighborhood of Washington DC entitled *How to be a

Human*that will be presented at the Capital Fringe Festival 2010.

There is space

for up to 25 participants. Free and open to the public.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:31:55 -0400

Subject: [rsc] Re: DC/MD Folks: Amnesty International Human Rights Arts

From: Laura Schandelmeier &lt;laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;

        charset="ISO-8859-1"

Hey Melanie,

Thanks so much for your e-mail.  We had no idea that this festival was goin=

on!  We would love to sign up for your workshop on Sunday.  Can we do this

through you or must we go to the web site?

Looking forward,

Laura and Stephen

On 4/18/10 9:24 PM, "Melanie St. Ours" &lt;melaniest.ours@xxxxxxxxx&gt; wrote:

&gt; Dear RSC,

&gt;=20

&gt; I'm very much looking forward to seeing many of you in Atlanta!=A0

&gt;=20

&gt; If you live in MD/DC and have some time next weekend, please come check o=

ut

&gt; the Amnesty International Human Rights Arts Festival, happening in downto=

wn

&gt; Silver Spring. Marietta Hedges, a new ROOTS member, will be presenting, a=

&gt; will I---not to mention scores of other artists from a wide variety of

&gt; disciplines. All events are free and open to the public. Check out the fu=

ll

&gt; festival program here: http://www.humanrightsartfestival.com/

&gt;=20

&gt; The announcement for the workshop I'm giving is below. It's given in

&gt; conjunction with my current project, How to be a Human, a devised play bu=

ilt

&gt; through inter-generational collaboration and dialogue. Check out our blog=

 at

&gt; http://www.forhumansbyhumans.wordpress.com=A0 .

&gt;=20

&gt; Please forward this to any local artists, change-makers, or community mem=

ber

&gt; who might like to come play with us on Sunday.

&gt;=20

&gt;=20

&gt; Workshop Title: Our Histories: Story-gathering and Performance

&gt;=20

&gt; Time: Sunday, April 25 from 2:30-4pm

&gt;=20

&gt; Location: Dance Recital Studio (2nd Floor), Montgomery College Performing=

 Arts

&gt; Center

&gt;=20

&gt; Workshop Description: As artists, activists, and peace-builders, how do w=

&gt; cultivate oral  histories of resistance, learn from our elders, and celeb=

rate

&gt; our  identities? Using community-based theater and oral history processes=

,

&gt; this workshop will create space for participants to learn theater and  or=

al

&gt; history techniques for use in community settings and to have a deep

&gt; experience of the power of collectively co-creating original theater.

&gt; Techniques to be used will include story circles, interview, Theater of  =

the

&gt; Oppressed, and group devising, culminating in new pieces of  theatrical

&gt; expression to be shared with the group. The workshop is given  in conjunc=

tion

&gt; with a larger playbuilding process that is currently  ongoing in the Nort=

hwest

&gt; One neighborhood of Washington DC entitled How  to be a Human that will b=

&gt; presented at the Capital Fringe Festival  2010. There is space for up to =

25

&gt; participants. Free and open to the public.

&gt;=20

&gt;=20

---

Laura Schandelmeier &amp; Stephen Clapp