[rollei_list] Re: reliability of SL66* electronics

  • From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:30:37 +0100

Christoph,

I have an SL66 and have held a SL66SE. The metering feature was good and
made for quicker usage especially in changing light which can go
un-noticed. TTL flash can have its advantages too. I keep my eyes open
for a SL66SE at a 'reasonable' price.

There was a period where the SLX, SL6006 and SL6002 had a name for
unreliable electronics. I have had a 6002 and 6006 with faulty 'auto'
metering circuits. The 6002 I had repaired. With the 6006, I guessed it
was cheaper to find a fully working body on eBay, which I did.

I do not know anything about the SL66SE but it was produced from 1986 to
1992 when the 600x electronics started to become more reliable. The
meter is just that, a meter. In operation it looks very similar to the
metering on the new TLR series. If the electronics on the SE fails, it
can still be used as a basic SL66. IMHO, if spares were no longer
available then I guess the circuitry for a 2.8 GX/FX could be 'adapted'
to fit by a competent repairer although the TLR does not have spot
metering. This is probably effected by switching between two separate
metering cell arrangements and so, in this adaptation scenario, it
should still be possible to have both two modes. Anything is possible
but at the end of the day it's all down to cost. ;-)

John