[rollei_list] Re: maxwell screen

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:31:08 -0500

Hi Chat,

I found this on wikipedia:

"A rough formula often used to quickly calculate depth of focus is the
product of the focal length times the f-stop divided by 1000; the formula
makes most sense in the case of normal lens (as opposed to wide-angle or
telephoto), where the focal length is a representation of the format size.
The precise formula for depth of focus is two times the f-number times the
circle of confusion times the quantity of one plus the magnification factor.
However, the magnification factor depends on the focal length and format
size and exact focus the lens is set to, which can be difficult to
calculate. Therefore, the first formula is often used as a guideline, as it
is much easier to calculate. It relies on the historical convention of
circle of confusion limit equal to focal length divided by 1000, which is
deprecated in modern photographic teachings, in favor of format size (for
example, along the diagonal) divided by 1000 or 1500."

Regards,

Austin