[rollei_list] Re: [good news from DHW Fototechnik] and Photokina 2012 news !

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 09:33:21 -0300

2012/9/24 Bigler Emmanuel <bigler@xxxxxxxx>:

>... Coloured Rollei-35 cameras with mirror-polished chrome top body were
> on display, and our beloved SONNAR 2.8 - 40 mm now is called Apogon as
> well. I doubt that this is a new design,..>

Interesting news Emmanuel, many thanks for the Photokina report.

Last year we had a thread about the Apogon 2.8/40 for the Rollei 35,
Apogon is a name Rollei already used for some lenses in the past, I
asked DHW about it and they replied the Sonnar 2.8/40 and Apogon
2.8/40 are the same lens.

< "...As you know, the French TLR camera Semflex Studio with a 150 mm lens
http://www.collection-appareils.fr/x/html/appareil-185-Sem.html
(supposedly) had a focusing system based on cables. At the time,
French people laughed at this "cable initially designed for the brakes
of a bicycle..." >

Talking about cables, I wrote in my Rolleiflex SL 35 blog on the
Rolleiflex SL 350: "...The camera needed a mechanism to transmit
shutters speeds and f stops values to the lightmeter for open aperture
metering, Herr Prochnow comments they were working on the SL 35 body
with serious space problems. Engineers and technicians found the
solution _using a Bowden cable_, similar to that one used for car
brakes and clutcher...", the detail is that Rollei management never
liked technical solutions via cable and this was one of the several
reasons the Rolleiflex SL 350 never was manufactured in Singapore as
was planned initially,  only a little batch was made in Brauschweig.
Anyway Prochnow thought it was a good technical solution already used
by others cameras manufacturers at the time; the cable solution to
shorten the TLR models focusing distance was always available for
Rollei, but they looked for other solutions, I doubt very much the old
F&H and Rollei Werke F&H would accept the cable solution for the TLR
focusing mechanism, BTW it does not mean it's a bad solution if it is
well made.