[rollei_list] Re: color in the darkroom?

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:24:28 -0500

Jim,
Thank you for this email. I find it very helpful. I love Cibachromes. There is nothing better. Nothing. A friend switched from Cibas to digital prints. He is a master printer, but the digital work he does, while outstanding, lacks a certain quality and does not equal his Cibas. I bought his enlarger and have a jobo as well, but do only black and white. I may begin to do Cibas. Masking will be an issue, however.

Best and thank you for sharing your knowledge--Doug

On Dec 21, 2005, at 11:03 PM, Jim Brick wrote:

At 07:11 PM 12/21/2005, Jaime Kopchinski wrote:

Are there many on the list doing color in the darkroom?

I primarily process and print color in my darkroom. I have a JOBO ATL-2400 and print 20x24 Cibachrome as my standard material and size. The 2400 has a six 15 liter chemistry reservoirs. I dedicate three to Ciba P3 chemistry. I can go into my darkroom anytime and print Ciba prints with virtually no set-up time. The mixed Ciba P3 chemistry in my JOBO will last from 9 to 12 months without going bad. Sometimes there's a long gap between color print sessions so the longevity of P3 chemistry is a godsend. I dedicate the other three reservoirs to either RA4 or B&W. RA 4 developer is the pits as it lasts a maximum of 2 weeks. If you leave it in the processor past two weeks, it stains and gums up all of the delivery tubes, etc. So I rarely print RA4. My daughter and her best friend both print RA4 so I try to mix exactly the amount that they will use in a two week period.

I buy only 20x24 and 11x14 Ciba polyester paper. If I have to make an 8x10 or 16x20, I cut down the 20x24. I buy 11x14 paper because 20x24 doesn't cut down to 11x14 without a lot of waste. However, a box of 11x14 Ciba paper lasts me a very long time.

In between color sessions I print B&W. Up to 16x20 in my sink. 20x24 RC prints in the JOBO as moving 20x24 RC paper from tray to tray is difficult. Fiber is easy however. So I use my JOBO for 20x24 RC paper and my sink line for fiber.

:-)

Jim

--- Rollei List

--- Rollei List