[rollei_list] Re: Scan etc. new bod

  • From: Jaime Kopchinski <jaimekop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:21:52 -0500

Hi Guys,
Another new guy here... I've been lurking around for a month or two.  I'll
jump into this scanner discussion.

Have a look here:
http://images.jaimekop.com/2005_11_17_Rolleiflex_C/

E6 film scanned with my Epson 4990.  These were scanned with very little
effort, and very few adjustments if any.  I didn't put a huge amount of
effort here as it was more of a test to see how a Rolleiflex 2.8C I recently
had cleaned up by Krimar was doing.  But I was impressed with the quality of
the scans for the given effort.  A 12x12" print of picture 6 from
mpix.comwas pretty breathtaking.  (The lens on this camera has a good
number of
light scratches....)

Another example:
http://images.jaimekop.com/2005_10_30_Central_Park/

Heres some C41 film (processed by A&I) I scanned with the Epson 4990.  I had
a much more difficult time with it and had to do quite a bit of adjustment.
Getting the brightness and contrast was was rather difficult, especially for
picture 5.

I'll admit that I'm still quite a novice at all this, just getting into
photography seriously in the last year, and doing my own color for abot 6
months.  I've been using film with a manual rangefinder for two years after
abandoning digital!

Now with all of this said, I'm somewhat fursterated by the Epson 4990's
ability to properly scan C41 film.  I have several negatives I can get very
good results with in the darkroom (another thing i'm getting the hang of)
but just can't get the colors or exposure right with the scanner.  Does
anyone else find this to be a problem?  Or am I just expecting too much from
the scanner?

As it is now, I can't see how anyone would expect to be able to "bulk" scan
a lot of film (for long term digital storage) in any reasonable amount of
time.  Depending on the quality of negative, some might need quite a bit of
attention.

Happy Holidays!
Jaime
-NJ, USA