[rollei_list] Re: What is Velox? What are lantern slides?

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 19:21:33 -0700

At 05:42 PM 8/20/2006 -0700, Dick wrote:

I do remember the Flexichrome process. It was apparently often used for advertising illustration since colors could be changed or varied at will. Like photo-oil coloring Flexichrome reqired considerable artistic skill to really look good.
For those not familiar with it Flexichrome was a variation of the processes that vary the hardness of a gelatin layer with exposure. The material was similar to the matrix material for dye transfer. After development in a tanning developer the variable hardness of the gelatin would control the uptake of dyes applied to the surface with a brush. While the saturation of the color was automatic the placement and choice of color was not. Reproducing something like a print cloth pattern required a lot of detailed hand work. Flexichrome is another victim of digital image manipulation although digital probably requires at least as much work and skill.
I got interested in Flexichome (and dye transfer) when I was in high school but never had the money to pursue it.
BTW, Velox was also used as a term for a print made from a screened negative used in making printing plates. I don't know the derivation of the term but perhaps it was from the use of high contrast Velox paper to make the prints.

Sounds a little like what I think was called the Kodak dye-transfer process. I remember helping the brother of a friend do that around 1949.

Seems to me that 3 matrices were made, one for each color, all carefully aligned with a punch, and then each was used in turn to add a color to a special paper. Either the thickness or hardness of the gel, plus the soak time in the dye, controlled the density of each color.

I think that at the time this was the best color process one could use for making prints at home, but it did require a lot of care and skill.

Could be that I am a bit out of date and that process is still in use.

DAW

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA