[rollei_list] Re: What is Velox? What are lantern slides?

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:36:28 -0700

At 07:15 AM 8/20/2006 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

Larger. Lantern slides were made in a number of sizes. The ones I remember from school were about 3-1/4 x 4-1/4. They were typically glass plates with a cover glass to protect the emulsion side. B&W slides were coated with an emulsion similar to slow enlarging paper. The slides were made by contact or projection printing from negatives.

Back in the 60's, when I worked as a commercial photographer, I made lantern slides for one of my clients, a professor at Stanford. They were 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 and I either photographed material (text/photos/slides), processed the negs, then printed them onto the lantern slides, or, he gave me negs to print onto lantern slides. I presume he projected them during his lectures.

Been a long time since I thought about that!

Jim