[rollei_list] Re: Tri-X developer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 12:10:32 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@xxxxxxx> To: <rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 10:53 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Tri-X developer

I'd like to hear from other's using this film (the 400 version) what they're using as a developer. At the moment, due to a fortuitous dealing with the local pro photography shop, I have free developing for the next year or so. They use Rodinal. Is this something to be avoided (for general purpose, not much time or space for home processing at present)?

Sanders?

Daniel?

Pablo?

Others?

Thor

I use D-76 diluted 1:1 for most films. Its pretty good and is reliable. Xtol is probably the "optimum" developer for most films including Tri-X. It is slightly finer grain than D-76 and delivers about 3/4 stop more speed. I have not heard any reports of the "sudden death" syndrome lately so maybe Kodak has cured it. The virtues of Rodinal are mostly that it is convenient and reliable. it will work for anything (even paper) but is not the optimum for anything. It tends to be grainier than other developers and does not deliver quite as much speed as D-76.
    I suggest Xtol. Xtol is also a good pushing developer.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx