[rollei_list] Re: Print Exchange(what am I looking at?)

  • From: Dennis Purdy <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 12:52:00 -0700

On May 23, 2008, at 10:59, eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hahnemühle. We use their Copper Plate paper to letterpress on. Best paper I've ever used - though it sluffs off fibers like mad as it runs through the press, and has been responsible for several sinus aches.

That Epson is a $15,000 machine. Cutting edge stuff. How do the prints look?

E.

It was interesting as I was there the photographer came in and I got a lot more info. Seems some big spender in LA wanted to do this project of photographing people sort of in between the styles of Avedon and Arbus with strange looking people photographed dead pan mostly on a studio plain background. He isn't a photographer so he has hired the guy, named John Clark, that I talked to today to shoot the photos of the people that the LA guy finds. This project has gone on for several months and according to Mr Clark money is no object and the project has cost over 250,000 so far with about a 6 inch deep stack of 40x60 prints made. The LA guy is willing to throw however much money it takes to get the best possible photos and prints. (sounds like a dream job to me and it is definitely keeping the owner of this printing place in a good mood.)

As to the quality, and my qualifications for judging quality comes from high end printing for many years, it would be impossible to logically argue that a silver gel print offers anything that these prints don't. Solid blacks, detailed whites, sharper than I would have thought a 4x5 should be at that size. the paper was mat and was seemingly without a surface. No glare ever whatsoever yet a completely dark black. So I can see how a digital printer who can create this quality will claim it is better than silver gel.

The prints left me emotionless and the florescent white is unpleasant to me regardless if it is silver gel or digital. The prints looked a lot like an Ilford MG mat surface silver paper. I don't think the argument is resolvable as long as the appreciation of the prints is subjective and emotional vs logical. To me logically I can't argue against the ink jet prints but whether it is my old timer jaded personality or fear of change the prints don't do it for me.

Dennis