[rollei_list] Re: Status Update

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 01:33:03 -0500

I want to thank all of you for your good thoughts. My wife is a Master's level nurse who used to be an Emergency Room Nurse and who then was a Chief Nursing Officer at couple of small hopitals, and she sat by while the plastic surgeon stitched me up, and she approved of his work. She felt he did a nicer job of embroidery than she could do on a blanket used as a coverlet at picnics. <he grins> All is on the mend now, though the swelling and bruising has affected the visual acuity of my lleft eye, which ought to be back to normal within a ten-day. So, I e-mail only in bursts, when my eye feels up to it. (I am working on monocular vision at the moment, though I know can open my left eye and can actually see quite a bit with it.

I will have a scar, but it shan't be a large one. And the Vitamin E suggestion is interesting.

Again, thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. All is well. I was drinking and unsteady on my feet and then I tripped over a Shop-Vac which really ought not to be in the room at all, and I could not recover my balance and so, wham, down I went. I have since shifted the accouterments of the Shop-Vac out of the passageway. I have no intention of repeating the experience. It itches quite a bit, of course.

Just remember this: 'when I die, put a twenty-dollar gold piece in my vest, to let the boys know I died standing pat'. If you don't recognize the line, well, it is from THE ST. LOUIS BLUES, an almost unsingable song sung by most of the great US singers for the past seventy years or so. My vision comes and goes a bit, so, if I fail to answer a direct query, ask me again in three weeks. or so, when I should be back in battery. (This is a military term, meaning returned to full duty.)

Be well, Rollei folks, and thank you for your kind thoughts.

I am all right -- as I noted, I didn't dent the wood, so my head is not as hard as some of you believe it t to be and, no, I do not have a VERY thick skull and a VERY soft brain. That one is is an outright canard. But, then, I come from a line of carpenters,, and so I choose really hard wood to keep the tortoises penned. The larger of them decided the other year to go exploring and tried to break out. Well, he broke something -- he snapped a quarter inch bolt off cleanly. (6mm DIN or so) Sulcaatta Tortoises have been described as 'rammers and butters' and the term works. They are cold-bloods devoted to survival. They have a really impressive burst strength. Maybe it was a defective bolt, but I have the shards here, and he broke it. Coming from a line of carpenters, I detest nails and I dislike wood screws. So, I drill holes and use machine screws. And then my tortoise breaks one of these.

Go figure. <he grrins>

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!