[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex TLR Viewing Lenses and Nomenclature

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:42:36 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Siu Fai" <siufai@xxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:47 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex TLR Viewing Lenses and
Nomenclature

>> Interestingly, the viewing lenses
>> supplied by JSK
>> for the Rolleimagics were also four-element Xenars.  (I
>> would hestitantly
>> propose that production economics simply made it easier
>> and
>> cheaper for JSK
>> to crank out a double run or so of Xenars to be used both
>> as taking and
>> viewing lenses than to have to set up a special
>> production line for a
>> triplet not otherwise saleable.  Why the production of
>> the
>> viewing lens was
>> not  hived off onto ISCO-G=F6ttingen, I will probably
>> never know, as that
>> subsidiary was where Schneider normally sent the simple
>> jobs.)
>
> Another reason to use the Xenar for the viewing lens may
> lay on the front
> cell focus design of the Magic. The focusing part is here
> very simple and
> the two lenses are coupled directly . It may be more
> difficult to design a
> triplet that has a same front cell throw over the range of
> focal lenghts.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Siu Fai

  This is probably similar to the Kodak Reflex camera. This
has  identical front element focus lenses for taking and
finding coupled with a gear mechanism. The lenses are four
element air spaced lenses. I am not sure if the focus is
changed by moving only the front element or the whole front
cell.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA