[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex TLR Viewing Lenses and Nomenclature

  • From: "Siu Fai" <siufai@xxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:47:03 +0100

> Interestingly, the viewing lenses
> supplied by JSK
> for the Rolleimagics were also four-element Xenars.  (I would hestitantly
> propose that production economics simply made it easier and
> cheaper for JSK
> to crank out a double run or so of Xenars to be used both as taking and
> viewing lenses than to have to set up a special production line for a
> triplet not otherwise saleable.  Why the production of the
> viewing lens was
> not  hived off onto ISCO-G=F6ttingen, I will probably never know, as that
> subsidiary was where Schneider normally sent the simple jobs.)

Another reason to use the Xenar for the viewing lens may lay on the front
cell focus design of the Magic. The focusing part is here very simple and
the two lenses are coupled directly . It may be more difficult to design a
triplet that has a same front cell throw over the range of focal lenghts.

Best regards,

Siu Fai