[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex Appreciation

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:49:24 -0400

> At 03:14 PM 4/22/2008, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> I'm a little dim on how the whole thing came down...
>> I saw "The Right Stuff" on the Mercury Astronauts first press conversance
>> were all coved by guys with Speed Graphics!
>> It seems sometimes like things went from 4x5 to Leica. Do not pass go....
>> With some pack flim thrown in the middle.
>> A Rolleiflex unlike a Speed or Crown you could not hit someone over the head
>> with. It would break.
>
> Well, not quite so.  In 1959, when
> then-Vice-President Nixon toured Caracas, there
> was a riot against the US.  Several of the Press
> photographers had Rolleiflex 2.8F's with prism
> VF's and pistol grips, and they used these to
> club their way out of the mess.  At least one of
> them turned around and completed his roll of film
> before retiring to a car for transport to the US Embassy.
>
> Marc
>

> msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

When I got my Rollei, a 2.8 f it was 1975 in Portland I was 25 yrs old.
It came with a pistol grip and prism press club kit I had no choice in the
matter..

A Rolleiflex normally is the least threatening of any camera I've ever used
or seen.  You take someone's picture, they rarely punch you in the face. But
your right with the "club kit" it becomes a bit more aggressive.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com