[rollei_list] Re: Rollei R3 film review

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 19:42:32 -0300 (ART)

Aaron:
       I have found an interesting thread about the
Rollei film, i.e. the following opinion:

"jukka vatanen , may 03, 2005; 04:49 p.m.
Hi Jukka here again: I wrote a response to another
thread on the Rollei R3 film elsewhere in this forum.
My summary here is: I shot Rollei R3 and Fuji Acros
100 and neopan 400 in two leica bodies, same lens :
35mm Summicron and same subject matter. The developer
was the Rollei Low speed for 64-100 asa developed and
diluted as per Rollei instructions. also r3 and neopan
400 shot at 800-1600 asa developed in Rollei High
Speed developer with Rollei instructions for dilution
and developement times. My impression is that the
Rollei R3 film and developer cmbo is a fantastic
advancement in film technology for a BW reportage
photographer. It offers unique latitude in exposure,
that is not possible with traditional films. rather
than bracket exposures, now you can bracket
development. Find new kind of images by selecting
"layers of silver" in latent images. Technically the
low speed 64-100 asa graininess is more apparent than
in Acros 100, but then the acros is the finest grain
film I have ever used. At high end (1600 asa) the
density, contrast and gaininess is perfectly
acceptable, directly comparable to Neopan 400. Quite a
latitude for a single film ! BUT: you have to use the
high tech Rollei developers. From other comment on the
forum, no idea to use the old traditional developers
such as D-76 or Diafine"

The entire thread is here:
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Bivj

All the best
Carlos

--- Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx> escribió:
> Richard,
>
>       I had the same concerns when I first heard the
> claims that this film
> could be used anywhere from EI 25 to EI 6400. They
> claim it has three
> photosensitive layers, each with a different
> sensitivity. That is why
> you have to use the special developer to "unlock"
> the multi-speed
> capabilities (layers). With ordinary developers it
> has a nominal speed
> of ISO 400. At least, that's what they claim. I have
> not used this film
> myself.
>
> Cheers,
> -Aaron
>
> On May 9, 2005, at 4:50 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:
>
> >    While its nice to have another supplier of film
> around I
> > am not too happy with this stuff being introduced
> as somehow
> > "magic" film which doesn't work like any other.

> with 'subscribe'
> in the subject field OR by logging into
> www.freelists.org

> with