[rollei_list] Re: Rollei R3 film review

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 13:50:30 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Reece" <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 7:49 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rollei R3 film review

> One more note - in order to take advantage of the
> "multi-speed"
> capabilities of the film, you have to use the dedicated
> ($$$)
> developer. Although someone may have figured out some
> alternatives by
> now.
>
> -Aaron
>
> On May 9, 2005, at 10:32 AM, Fox, Robert wrote:
>
>> The film seemed to be really fussy as far as
>> developers, and of course costs way more than any other
>> monochrome
>> film.

   I looked at the data sheet for this stuff. It makes some
statements that make me think it was written by some
marketing type who dosen't know anything about sensitometry
or how film is made,  and was just throwing jargon around.
Variable speed film just does not exist. Some films, like
Kodak T-Max P3200, are designed for push processing but they
are pushed the same way every other film is pushed, namely
by increasing the contrast. Different developers do affect
the speed of film, but not by a whole lot. At the low end
one has super-fine-grain developers like Microdol-X, and at
the high speed end several Phenidone developers like Xtol or
Microphen. The total range of variation of these two types
is less than 2 stops. Technical Pan had a range of speeds
but that was for a range of contrasts. For pictorial
contrast the speed was pretty much around EI-20, getting
higher speed meant developing for much higher contrast. Even
chromogenic monochrome films, which can be shot over a range
of speed are a bit of an illusion this way because the image
is just being moved around on the film's curve.
   While its nice to have another supplier of film around I
am not too happy with this stuff being introduced as somehow
"magic" film which doesn't work like any other.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx