[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Planars

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 22:54:27 -0400

On 26-May-05, at 3:10 PM, Allen Zak wrote:

> Lenses vary among types and from one sample to another, but the
> Tessar and Xenotar should both give @ equivalent results at f 11.
> At smaller apertures, a comparison between them should demonstrate
> a little more contrast from the Tessar and of the Xenotar a bit
> more resolution. The Xenotar should be sharper at wider openings
> and also render a flatter field. Other differences I regard as of
> character, not quality. If they are great it could be anything from
> misalignment to subtle clouding of the Tessar lens elements (you
> would have noticed major gunk on the glass if it were that).
>
> Allen Zak

Thanks Allen.

My Tessar, while capable of giving decent enlargements of 20 x 20
inches, is DECIDEDLY less sharp than my Xenotar at that magnification
and larger. I see no visible defects on the Tessar's glass (indeed
it's the Xenotar which has visible cleaning marks on the front
element!) so I really can't figure out why.

Cheers.

+++++