[rollei_list] Re: Planar, Xenotar, Summicron

  • From: FRANK DERNIE <frank.dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:42:27 +0100 (BST)

According to the Canon Lens Work books, which are
interesting and inexpensive, they point out that Canon
uses 4 types of aspherical elements. The largest have
to be ground, then there are hot moulded using metal
masters (I believe Leica use ceramic masters to mould
their aspherics), replicated which I believe is a thin
plastic aspheric layer moulded onto a spherical glass
element and plastic moulded.
Some are for quality, some for miniturisation. I don't
have the books to hand so may not be quoting
perfectly.
Frank