[rollei_list] Re: Paris-bound with my Art Deco Rolleicord

  • From: Sanders McNew <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 09:53:56 -0400

Carlos, you are correct on the focus issue.  I bought three of these bodies --
one in decent shape, and two beaters for parts.  Paul reported that the focus
assembly was built of much lighter material than modern Rolleiflexes, and was
very susceptible to damage from drops and knocks.  All three of the bodies I
sent him had this issue -- each bound up a bit when focus was racked in and
out, due to deformities in the focus assembly caused by damage to the cameras
over time.  Unless you're lucky enough to find one of these cameras that's
lived its 80-year life sitting on a shelf, my guess, based on Paul's
observations, is that many of the surviving users are going to present the same
problem now.  It's something to consider when buying an early Rolleicord.

Re flare:  The taking lens on my Art Deco appears remarkably clear of haze and
marks.  Obviously I didn't use a hood when I shot the photo -- I was in shade,
and thought I could get away without it.  (And I had assumed that the simpler
triplet lens, with fewer interior surfaces, would be less susceptible to
flare.)  I'm going to shoot a few rolls with a hood and see whether that helps
to control the flare.  I found an inexpensive Zeiss Ikon 1110 hood that fits
the Art Deco Rolleicord, same 28.5mm push-on design -- I'll try it out and
report back, in case anyone is interested.

Sanders McNew
www.flickr.com/sandersnyc