[rollei_list] Re: OT - "Praise don't pay the bills" (was: "NIH Syndrome" (was: Liquid Lenses))

  • From: TrueBadger@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:26:03 -0500

In a message dated 1/25/2005 6:06:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Austin
Franklin" <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>Ardeshir,
>
>> I don't know what it is that you don't find credible. Do you wish to
>> actually see one of the copes returned to me by the US patent Office,
>> with their official stamp on it, and the date? I have many such copies
>> here at my home! Come over for a beer any time, and I'll show them to
>> you.
>
>I would be interested in seeing what you are claiming.  If you would scan
>one in, and post it on your web site, I could take a look at it, and it
>would end my curiosity as to what you are talking about.
>
>Austin

On the topic of inventors, inventions, and whether they make money or not,
here's an interesting personality to read about:

http://museum.nist.gov/panels/notched/rabinowbio.htm

http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/rabinow.html

I used to run into him occasionally in a small local camera store (Transcolor
Photo, now closed) in Rockville, MD.  He was interested in everything, sharp as
tack, loved to talk about anything technical, and usually was wearing a suit
that looked like He'd slept in it for a week.

I was told, but never confirmed it, that one of his inventions was a mechanical
feedback mechanism for automobile clocks; designed so that after the time was
reset three times, the clock was properly regulated. I was also told that for
the life of the patent, he got a royalty of about 1 or 2 cents on every such
clock manufactured, of which there were many millions.

G. King