[rollei_list] Re: OT - "Praise don't pay the bills" (was: "NIH Syndrome" (was: Liquid Lenses))

Austin,

I have registered my ideas with the US patent Office in Washington
many, many times - over two dozen times, if memory serves. In the past
- that was more than ten years ago -  it used to cost me just $10, plus
enough US postage for them to mail back one copy of whatever it was
that I sent them. It never cost me anywhere near $200. All it takes is
a write-up of the idea - it doesn't have to be a patent application,
provisional or otherwise: it can even be crude drawings or a rough
concept - in two copies, and they send back one of the copies with a
date and an official stamp on it, proving that on that date the idea
had been thought of by the sender. They don't bother to actually read
it, of course: they just file it away for two years, and then destroy
it. However, if the sender keeps the copy which they send back, he or
she can produce it at any time as proof that whatever is written in
that paper is a description of his/her concept on the stamped date. If
anyone can prove that they thought of the same thing before that date,
then he/she is out of luck. But if they can't, then he/she is clearly
proven to be the first person to think of the idea. I have many such
copies in my files, with the US Patent Office stamp on them, plus the
date. Of course I try to write up the paper in as accurate and
foolproof a way as I can: more or less like a patent application
without the claims, so that it covers all the bases (or more correctly,
all the bases I can think of). But the date and the US Patent Office
stamp on the paper are sufficient to prove in any court of law that on
that date at least, it was I who thought of the idea described therein.

Perhaps they don't offer this service any more. But if so, that's news
to me, because as I said, I have done it personally, and that too many
times, in the past.

Cheers.

+++++