[rollei_list] Re: OT - "Praise don't pay the bills" (was: "NIH Syndrome" (was: Liquid Lenses))

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:19:40 -0500

On Tuesday, January 25, 2005, at 06:26  PM, TrueBadger@xxxxxxx wrote:

> On the topic of inventors, inventions, and whether they make money or
> not, here's an interesting personality to read about:
>
>       http://museum.nist.gov/panels/notched/rabinowbio.htm
>
>       http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/rabinow.html
>
> I used to run into him occasionally in a small local camera store
> (Transcolor Photo, now closed) in Rockville, MD. He was interested in
> everything, sharp as tack, loved to talk about anything technical, and
> usually was wearing a suit that looked like He'd slept in it for a
> week. [...]

Oh, I know full well that there's lots of money to be made by inventing
things. It just can't be made by ME, because of my *karma* - at least
as far as I can see. (God knows I've tried every which way!)

But then again, why should I be bothered? I am comfortably off even
though not rolling in money, and have lots of friends, two - count 'em,
TWO! - Rolleiflexes, and a very nice family, and let's not forget the
ability to cook very well indeed, which means I will be eating
luxuriously till the end of my life ... all of which is more than many
other people have.

Cheers.