[rollei_list] OT: Marc's Non Leitz LTM lenses book

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 20:46:43 -0300

I have received Marc’s book “Non- Leitz LEICA Thread-Mount Lenses, A
39mm Diversity”, First English Edition 1997 (Wittig Books, Germany).
The book has an excellent presentation, it has hardcover and is very
well printed in high quality glossy paper. Along 142 pages Marc writes
about the Leica Thread Mount lenses, from the beginning in 1920 up to
the rebirth and decline 1945-1993. Lenses are described according
their features and main technical specs, Marc also writes about the
historic context and miscellaneous data with his colorful and rich
prose. There is a lot of research behind the book, persons like
Charles Barringer among several others mentioned by Marc contributed
to the book info.
Zeiss, Schneider, Kilfitt, Novoflex, Meyer, Astro,  Fed and Soviet
Optical factories among less known lenses manufacturers around the
world are included in the book, Marc explains why he does not consider
the Japanese LTM lenses ( the Mitsubishi conspiracy is not mentioned
anyway :-)
Another very interesting point on the book is that it is plenty of
excellent B&W photographs about lenses and cameras, they are to enjoy
really if you like the classic equipment as I like it, there are
images about cameras, lenses and accesories combos very rare to see in
other source; the book contains very good info on the reflex housing
for Leica and some RF cameras difficult to find together in other
sources.
The endnotes, tables, Addendum and  Lens coatings, Serial Numbers and
Lens Markings, Clones, Copies and Fakes appendix are plenty of info.
I need to read the book in detail yet, (I received it today) but it’s
easy to see this is an excellent book with significant research and
very well written, a book to recommend if you are interested on
photographic equipment history, or if you are a collector or if you
are an user interested about to know photograhic gear and its history.
The book is a collector item itself due to its rarity and the topic
considered.