[rollei_list] Re: OT: It's Coming Around Again

  • From: James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 05:05:47 -0700

 On 10/04/10 09:57, Grégoire Jacques Vandenschrick wrote:
I recall also that digital film stuff.
At the time, it looked really promising. I think I was in their e-mail info list. Never received one.

I still hope for a full frame Digital back for Rollei TLR though. That would be AMAZING! I checked and one can find some 6x6cm ccd array. Some are even without bayer matrix (understand pure greyscale) and so have an incredible spatial resolution. Some are colored, but still have really good resolution, associated with wide pixel size, boasting relatively the fill factor (buses are more or less the same size). Now if Sigma could do this with a new generation backlit foveon... With the current state of miniaturisation, that would take more or less the size of a humpback, providing you would exploit holes of the rollfilms for batteries (of a new dedicated format, taking exactly the 120 rollfilm size.

The major problem would be to find a sensor. The standard (not very) size for large format Bayer color appears to be 48x36mm although some of them are a bit smaller.

Now, to avoid that awful rear display everyone HAS to look at directly after having taken the pic, we should find a solution to have the image visible on the screen of the camera... Projection through the mirror? Projection on the mirror, enough room below? Projection on the mirror, but from where? A new kind of see-through screen, to make the point and emitting images. Allowing as on a DSLR display to show or not lines, indications...

Yes, just another feature of digital cameras that I don't understand. We seem to still be in the legacy stage of development -- film emulation. I suppose that the screen on the back is like a Polaroid print. Why can't they build a NOT SLR with an interchangeable electronic viewfinder. If you really want to see how the result will look, you need a laptop anyhow. Even with a large electronic viewfinder, you wouldn't have people looking in it.

So, yes, you could convert a Rollei TLR, but do your really need the optical viewfinder?

--

James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch