[rollei_list] Re: OT: Don and His Computers

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:56:14 -0500

At 03:17 PM 3/29/2012, you wrote:
My wife bought me Dragon at Christmas. So far, neither of us have tried it. It seems to be the answer to the query no one ever asked.

Marc

I'm writing a book, have been for 5 years. I find I type better than I speak but I do use it to get down quick thoughts.

I've been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking for at least 15 years, starting with version 3.xx and knew the programmers when the Bakers broke out of MIT and used their government contract knowledge to start Dragon. It's been through at least 3 owners since then, the current one being Nuance.

In any case I think it's a great help but I don't try to use it for anything other than straight text plus period, comma, new line, new paragraph. Sometimes I say "Open Eudora" but I don't bother with trying to do all the commands it can do. I use an Olympus digital recorder, bought with credit card points, for mobile use and it is a wonderful asset.

Give it a try.  The version you have would be the one they advertise a lot.

If you are comfortable with the idea of talking to a computer, I'd suggest upgrading to V11.5 Preferred to cut down the training time. Also, let it read all your notes, email, etc., to get used to the way you structure your text and also to expand the vocabulary it has.

Good luck- It may be a little frustrating at first, especially if you have to read some of those training files, but once over that hurdle you will be in fat city. Supposedly with V11.5 you can skip the training, not sure.

DAW