[rollei_list] OT: A Non-Regrettable Non-Absence

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 23:23:02 -0400

At 10:01 PM 9/2/2010, Roger Beverage wrote:
Marc;

At least when you return, you can say you have been as far from home as possible but still in the U.S. I hope you enjoy your visit here and hope where you are going is north of Portland. We natives consider anything south of there as a suburb of Boston. Once the hurricane gets out of the way and temperatures normalize, it is a lovely place, even in the snows of winter.

Thank God, I was spared from going. For 52 years, I have had my arm twisted to go to Maine. I am a contrarian: tell me I "must" do something and I will do my damnedest NOT to do it. And I never lost a single thing in Bangor, Maine. I don't even like Stephen King. And I DETEST travel. I am a control freak and do NOT want to put my dogs in a kennel, for instance. If I cannot take them, then I want to stay home. Placid, peaceful, quiet home. Ten miles from the Class VI store at Fort Lee and so forth. All very decent, quiet, and comfortable.

I did want to catch up with two long-term friends in Manchester, NH, but one is tied up with a family illness and the other has a family obligation taking him to Texas this weekend. So, things seem to have worked out decently in that regard.

I have known some really nice people from Maine. They all assure me that the nimrods have stayed behind and that the sane ones have all moved out. Given the state of Maine politics, I suspect that that is quite true. I am certain that Maine has very pretty parts but, then, so does Virginia, and I can see those on a day trip. The only thing I really wanted to visit in Maine is the principal LL Bean store in Freeport.

Hurricane Earl! (I have lived through hurricanes all over the east coast, especially in Connecticut and Virginia -- hurricanes I do know despite my reluctance to visit Florida. Camille and Agnes and Juan and Hugo and Isabel and ... You have not lived until you've had to negotiate a 40-hp VW through a flooded intersection, reving the engine WAY up to keep the water from coming up the tail pipes. But that was back in the Longago.) Earl is bouncing off the Barrier Islands (my best friend was vacationing there, and I am certain that she has left to return to Roanoke). It will not affect my part of Virginia -- we MIGHT have a light rain before dawn, though this is along the lines of a 5% probability. Tomorrow will be hot and humid and then a cold front passes through, and our highs drop by ten degrees. Early fall weather -- and low humidity!

I live just south of Richmond Virginia. Maine SEEMS impossibly far from Virginia, but it is not. Hawaii and Alaska are MUCH further (it is easier to fly to Alaska than to fly to Maine, but that is a discussion for a different day). Miami is about as far from Richmond as is Maine (no, I have never been to Florida, either, and I doubt that I ever shall -- having been raised in California, I have it in my viscera that visiting Florida is an invitation to disaster, from Hurricanes and a zillion other things). Everything west of Chicago is further from Richmond than is Maine. Boise, Idaho. Seattle, Washington. Phoenix, Arizona. Tulsa, Oklahoma. All are a lot farther than Maine. And Maine is stuck up there with Canada -- Maine and Canada are still fighting over some islands, relics from the War of 1812, and I believe Michigan is doing the same. (To date: Maine 0, Michigan 1, but the locals keep stirring things up, so what do I know?)

The cooler weather will benefit my two yard tortoises, Sulcatas, as they do not do very well with humidity. These guys are captive-born descendants of the largest continental tortoises, who reside normally in the Sahel Desert in Africa. We have had two months of excruciatingly hot weather but it has been humid. They will do better with drier air. All anapsids (turtles and tortoises) have a weak respiratory system, and they are subject to pneumonia, even the ones who live in water. (I also have an Eastern Mud Turtle and a Musk Turtle and an African Side-Necked Mud Turtle. I know these puppies: the Eastern Mud Turtle I hatched from an egg in '81 and the Musk Turtle I got right out of the egg in '84. Evinrude, the East African Side-Necked Mud Turtle, is a more recent addition, but, yes, he is CB.

Anapsids are akin to dogs: they love to have the back of their skulls rubbed. You have to be careful: I have had a number of snappers, but have never been brave enough to try that on THEM. But it strikes my next-door neighbor, who watches over the Lawn Tortoises when I am gone, that the big one, Franklin (24 inches long? 35 pounds?) will rub up against my leg when I rub his neck.

I have two Sulcatas. These guys peak out at around 100 pounds and live for around a century. I have already warned my son to warn HIS grandkids of the impending Family Heritage!

In any event, I stayed in Richmond, Virginia, this center of culture and elegance.