[rollei_list] Re: Meter Testing

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 19:30:01 -0700

Carlos,

ISO 100 is ISO 100. But I see what you are saying and if I am understanding
you correctly I actually agree. (OK, start the drums and parade). The issue
is that the metering system in each camera varies with digital due to the
reflectance of the image sensor and the way the meter is reading the
information through a matrix of the image area or center weighted and where
and how much.  I was fortunate to do a lot of testing with Canon and Nikon
cameras for an article some months back. What amazed me was that the reading
for one camera can be as much as 1/2 stop different from another. Digital
also tends to favor underexposure, the reverse of print film. If you use an
incident meter and read say 1/60 at F8 you really need to look at the
histogram to make sure it is ideal for your camera as its best exposure may
be at F9 ro F9.5 at 1/60.

Yes, the best photographs in history were made without a histogram. But this
is "history." We can also say the best photographs were platinum prints
using wet plates that also did not use histograms. Or perhaps the best
images were those made by the Renaissance painters. Either way it is again
history. So looking forward the best will be made using histograms. I 50
years one will say some of the best photos in history were made using
histograms.

Peter K
Who still uses a Sekonic L508 with his Canon DSLR for portraits.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ó¿Õ¬