[rollei_list] Re: Meter Testing

  • From: "Stephen Attaway" <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:35:53 -0700

Hi Elias:

I believe Bogen Imaging still overhauls Luna Pros. They are still listed in their 'standard repair pricing' page as 'estimate only'. If you are losing confidence in yours, send it in. Or pick up a brand new reference meter - the Gossen Digisix just dropped in price to $125 at B&H.
Like you, I keep two reference meters - in my case a Luna Pro SBC and Luna Pro Digital. I use them to check my in camera meters, as well as using the Digital for flash work and the SBC in the field. My method is pretty simple: find flat evenly lit evenly toned surfaces in sunshine/open shade/daylit rooms and make some checks at each.

I adjust the camera meter iso to agree with my reference meters in bright sunlight (that is, I might set the camera iso to 50 when the reference meter is set to iso 100). If the meters then agree all the way down to a well lit room (not in direct sunlight), I make a note to use the camera at iso 50 with iso 100 film. If the camera meter shows a widely different reading in low light its definitely time to repair it or stop using it.

The standard for meter accuracy in Modern Photography used to be 1/2 stop, measured from a calibrated light source. For myself, I send the camera in for a meter overhaul if it doesn't meet that standard - or just use it with a handheld meter. I have a Nikon F Photomic that goes non-linear below f2 at 1/60 (f5.6 with its telephoto attachment), so I only use the Photomic in good light and switch to my known good hand held meter when in doubt.

I also use my reference meters to check my other hand-held meters: my Luna Pro is 1/3 stop out (and dead linear). I set it to 125 iso for iso 100 film. I've found I bat about .500 with older meters - end up throwing away half of the ones I buy.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Attaway
----- Original Message ----- From: "Elias Roustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>