[rollei_list] Re: Joe Rosenthal

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:10:58 -0400

Three of the 6 men who planted that flag were subsequently killed in action, as was Sgt. Robert Campbell, the Marine Corps cameraman who filmed the event.

Allen Zak

On Aug 22, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Peter J Nebergall wrote:

He used a Speed.

His partner (barracks-mate giung into Iwo, Lester Wilson, used the same
gear.  Wilson left his right leg at Iwo.  He later taught me.

PJ Nebergall

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:52:38 -0700 "Richard Knoppow"
<dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 6:38 PM Subject: [rollei_list] Joe Rosenthal

Joe Rosenthal, who took the famous picture of the (second)
flag
raising at Iwo Jema died yesterday near San Francisco.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14446355/

I have no idea what kind of camera he used then, but his
picture is a
good example of photos that influence all of us for a long
time.

I did what I could with the photo in the article, but
can't tell
whether there is a camera there, however with a little
imagination
one can make out the front of a Rollei Lens Hood.  Maybe a
bit early
for Rollei's but I'm sure someone in the group will know.

DAW

   I am almost certain Rosenthal used a Speed Graphic.
   There is a newsreel of the flag raising. I understand it
was done several times for the press.
   There is also a obit in the N.Y.Times.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
www.freelists.org

--- Rollei List

--- Rollei List