[rollei_list] Re: Contax

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:16:49 -0300

I asked Roger some images about the camera and lens and he sent them.
There is no doubt it is a postwar Contax IIIa, it looks very good
beyond some little aesthetic details and it seems it will be a great
camera after a CLA. The lens shows a strong blueish reflection, a
typical "blue lens" from the '50s, it is coated despite the lack of
the red "T" letter in the lens ring and made by Carl Zeiss Oberkochen
due to the serial number and other details and as Marc explained too.

I have a second pre-war Contax II provided with a post-war Sonnar
2/5cm Carl Zeiss Jena Nr 3006362 (it follows the historical CZJ SN
sequence) made in 1947 as "part of batch of 800 such lenses completed
on 20 MAR 1947" according Marc and other sources info.This lens is "T"
marked and it also shows a strong blueish reflection, similar to Roger
lens, I think my Sonnar 2/5cm lens made less than two years after the
war demonstrates CZJ already used hard coatings before the war and
during the war since they couldn't develop this lens coating process
in the immediate Postwar considering the more than difficult Carl
Zeiss Jena situation and Germany general situation at the time. I
still never used this lens because it needs a CLA in spite of its good
condition, it will receive it the next month, I only used the uncoated
prewar Sonnar 1,5/5cm.

Carlos