[rollei_list] Re: Completely OT- Loudspeaker info a pop up question

  • From: "A. Lal" <alal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:02:30 -0500

I believe the Peerless you refer to was an altogether different
comapany. The Peerless brand name was used  by Altec-Lansing in the
early days of hi fi. Altec (All Technical Products) was an off-shoot of
Western Electric. WE  pretty much wrote the book on all aspects of sound
reproduction, Blumlien and EMI only made minor contributions in
comarisison.  Anyone interested in hi Fi should have a look at early
numbers of the Bell System Technical Journal, by the way. Later on Jim
Lansing left Altec and went on to found JBL (James B. Lansing),  now
part of the Harman group. I'm sure the older members of the list can add
to this. Jerry, Richard?

Today there are two companies making speakers under the Peerless brand
name. One, in Denmark, is part of the DST group, the other, in India,
makes low cost OEM drivers some of which were used in KEF's and other
makers lower priced systems. At one time the two Peerless' were linked
but now they operate as separate companies.