[rollei_list] Re: Comic art was Re: OT: Miscellany

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:56:41 -0400

On Sep 9, 2007, at 9:14 PM, Robert Lilley wrote:

Oh my, somebody out there remembers the army's maintenance comic book
besides me.

It was/is called "PS Monthly (Preventative Maintenance Monthly) put out by the Army Maintenance Board, Ft. Knox, Kentucky (back then) and the cartoon characters inspired by Will Eisner are still in use today. The two gals who demonstrated the various maintenance "postures and techniques" were called "Bonnie and Connie" and of course there was Sgt Half-Mask and a few lovable others. Bonnie and Connie were pretty risqué back when I remember them in the 60's but today they are rather tame and politically correct. Something definitely was lost after Eisner and the original team left the magazine.

Wasn't Connie's surname Conrod? Yes, she was drawn to look sexy, but was actually a nice girl. Actually, what I remember most, for some reason, was how the art succeeded in explaining the machinery. These were very effective shop manuals that I am convinced should stand in some art category as a masterwork.

After serving with an intelligence unit in Vietnam preparing visual aids for the "Five O'clock Follies"(briefing the press) among other things, I was awarded an army illustrator MOS (81E) and worked briefly with the staff that published PS. The idea to use cartoon characters was based on the belief that the average enlisted level of education was 5th grade and this approach
would be best understood.  The army out sources the magazine today.

Rob Lilley

Yep, that was me, all right. Dumb as sod, but I loved comic books and always looked forward to each issue of PM (as I remember its title). Despite the army's generally accurate view of its troops reading preferences, there were apparently exceptions. On one occasion, the glove compartment of a truck to which I had been assigned held a copy of Tolstoy's "Kreutzer Sonata." That may have been a reflection that it was largely a drafted army.

It's wonderful to howdy with someone actually worked on what I consider a true comics classic. Thank you very much and most sincerely.

Allen Zak