[rollei_list] OT: Miscellany

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 00:21:13 -0400

At 11:41 PM 9/8/2007, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    What, another Latakia smoker? Of course I haven't smoked
>any since I quite smoking some 40 years ago but it was my
>choice then. I used Galahers (SP?).  As far as Jersey Pork
>Roll I thought this was what several N.J. politicians have
>recently been jailed for being on. (I think I just ended a
>sentence with a preposition).

Hysterion Proteron.

There is no grammatical rule dictating that a sentence ought not end with a preposition. This is a rule purely of style and was fully developed as late as Trollope. Churchill, who disliked Victorian UK writers, had never read him and when someone pointed that his ending a sentence in a preposition violated this "rule", Churchill replied famously, "this is a rule with which I will not put", an example at the same time of his immensely quick wit, his command of the English language, and his obstinance.

There are rules of style. I tend to try to observe these. I generally will not end a sentence in a preposition out of respect for Trollope's, as I find him an estimable author -- he is nowhere as dismal as Dickens even when the English knicks are hauling off the honest Irishman for a quick drop on a short pier, and his political novels are truly works of art. I understand that we "are grduated" from our schools -- "John Smith graduated from Richard Knoppow Penal High School last year" is wrong, wrong, wrong: it should be, "John Smith was graduated from the Richard Knoppow Penal High School last year". "Battleshps" and "tanks" are VERY specific terms: a decrepit 50-year old M113 Amored Personnel Carrier which can barely run is only a "tank" in the eyes of some idiot National Public Radio reporter. An armored rowboat is not a "battleship". I hope that you get my drift.

Precision in language is vital. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Do not muck about with exaggerations and misuses. I ought to be teaching a course in this, shouldn't I? Speech and dress. These define us.

I smoke mainly Milan Brothers Latakia blends but do an occasional Dunhill or Peterson. I used to have a blend registered at Dunhill in New York but I suspect that they have forgotten this over the past thirty years -- Richard, it seems I started smoking bout the time you gave it up.

"Jersey Pork Roll" is a sort of SPAM equivalent produced for the past century and more. When I was writing THE ZEISS COMPENDIUM, I often travelled to southern New Jersey to meet with my co-author. On the return, I always gassed up at a store which sold "Jersey Pork Rol Sandwiches". This is also known, to the likes of Jerry Lerhrer, as a "TEH", for Taylor Ham, Egg, and Cheese. Now, thanks to Bruce Williams, Jersey Pork Roll is available from <http://www.jerseyboy.cm>

It is ham. It is processed. And it tastes good. It brings back a lot of memories, as well.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!