[rollei_list] Re: Cold Weather

  • From: James Davis <jamesd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:44:30 +0000

Richard Knoppow wrote:

>   The cold will increase the viscosity of the lubricants in the shutter.
> Even modern synthetics are vulnerable to this although less so than
> natural oils. Working the shutter probably stirred up the oil. If it
> gets sluggish at room temperature then it needs a CLA.
>   Traditionally shutters were prepared for very cold weather by
> cleaining out all the lubricants and running them dry. This prevents
> sluggishness or jamming in very cold weather but increases the wear on
> parts significantly.

Thanks, I thought as much. I'll not worry about it immediately but
taking Jerry's reply into account I should start thinking about it.
Luckily I had some Delta 3200 on me and was able to load it and keep to
faster shutter speeds in the available light.

Does anyone know where I can get a CLA done within the UK or will I be
sending the camera to Paepke-Fototechnik Germany whom I've seen recommended.

James

--
http://www.freecharity.org.uk/ - Free hosting for charities
http://jamesd.ukgeeks.co.uk/