[rollei_list] Re: 2.8A Jena Tessar question

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:26:10 -0300

2011/1/14 Dan Daniel <dan.daniel.photos@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I was recently given a non-functioning 2.8 Tessar Rolleiflex.... > Body:
>  1101075
> Viewing: Nr. 819302    Heidoscop-Anastigmat 1:2.8 f=8cm
> Taking:    Nr. 2448307   Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 1:2.8 f=8cm   T[in red]

That is a pre-war CZJ Tessar lens serial number (1938), it is part of
the Tessar 2.8/80 lenses F&H bought from CZJ  to produce the 2.8A in
1939, F&H had a prototype ready to manufacture for the market that
year but the camera couldn't be made due to the war. After the war,
F&H re-newed the 2.8A project and several new prototypes were made up
to the camera manufacture from December 1949, CZJ coated the lenses
F&H had bought before the war and according some sources there were
errors assembling part ot these lenses after to coat them causing a
poor performance for the firsts 2.8A cameras, however these sources
also say F&H recovered all the cameras with the problem and corrected
the error and then there were no and there are no 2.8A cameras in the
market with lenses having the wrong assembling.

Claus Prochnow does not comment the assembling error, however he says
the German and European market rejected the 2.8A and most cameras were
sold in the American market. I have some books written at the time and
it was said the 3.5 Tessar  had better performance than the 2.8
Tessar, it has nothing to do with the assembling error but with design
issues as Richard explained. Anyway I have read about users satisfied
with the Tessar 2.8/80 performance, facts are F&H looked for a very
quick replacement for the Tessar 2.8/80 and then appeared the 2.8/80
five elements lenses Biometar, Xenotar and Planar.