[rollei_list] Re: 2.8A Jena Tessar question

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:00:54 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Daniel" <dan.daniel.photos@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 10:18 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] 2.8A Jena Tessar question

I was recently given a non-functioning 2.8 Tessar Rolleiflex. In breaking it down for cleaning, I noticed that the barrels of the taking lens set are stamped with serial numbers. The numbers match for the front and back set.

Would this have been done by F&H after coating? Or does it indicate in any way that the issue of de-coupled pairings that I have heard about didn't happen with this set?

Thanks for any info. I haven't been able to take any photos with the camera because of problems with the film transport so I can't say anything about the quality of the lens itself.

I have seen threads asking for info on these models, so here it is:

Body:  1101075
Viewing: Nr. 819302    Heidoscop-Anastigmat 1:2.8 f=8cm
Taking: Nr. 2448307 Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 1:2.8 f=8cm T[in red]

The barrels of the taking lenses are stamped 448307; there is no '2' at the beginning.

There is a hand=written note on the barrel of the viewing lens: F=79.4 No other markings on viewing lens barrel.

Dan Daniel
San Francisco, CA

The serial numbers on the cells were put there by Zeiss not Rollei. If the story about the mis-matched components is true they were mis-matched before being mounted so the serial number match is of no significance. In a Tessar most of the power is in the back combination and most of the correction is in the front group. However, I've recently found that one can interchange cells without a lot of effect on the image although there is a change in focal length. I am not sure what aberrations became objectionable in the Rollei f/2.8 lenses, knowing that would give an indication of what went wrong. Note that at f/2.8 a Tessar is working right at the limit of the design capability. Tessars tend to have something called oblique spherical aberration inherently. This looks something like coma in that it produces smeared imags of points as one moves away from the optical axis. Its stop related so it gets better as the lens is stopped down. In an f/3.5 lens its gone by f/8 but causes a noticable loss of sharpness at the corners and edges when the lens is used wide open. The f/2.8 lens would have had even more and probably would not have been sharp wide open even if made correctly. There are some fairly good f/2.8 Tessars but none of them can match the performance of more complex lenses at higher speeds. I also understand that Rollei may have exchanged lenses in cameras with really bad ones so if your lens is a good one (and some were) that may be the reason. This whole episode is an indication that QC was not very good at either Zeiss or Rollei at the time.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA