[rodgersorgan] Re: Music rack hinges

  • From: "James Hughston" <jimhughston@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:12:34 -0400

When folding down the music rack, I have always been very careful to lift up
from the bottom of the music rack before pulling forward from the top with my
other hand.  We had a guest organist about a year ago for an ecumenical
service. He must have used force in closing the rack.  I discovered the damage
when I was at the church for choir practice.  One of the hinges was clearly
bent out of shape, and the rack stood straight up instead of leaning slightly
back.  The music would not stay on the rack.  I showed it to the minister.  He
and I removed the hinge, and he took it home and straightened out the bent one
to match the good hinge.
We replace the hinges, and the rack worked perfectly afterwards.

I printed out a notice on a 2 x 4 inch shipping label

                 ~ CAUTION ~
    When folding down music desk
. Place one hand under desk and lift
· Place other hand at top of glass and
  gently lower desk over manuals
· DO NOT USE FORCE

I then used clear package  sealing tape over the label and affixed it to the
center of the music rack.

Jim Hughston
jimhughston@xxxxxxxxx
Organist/choir director