[roc-chat] Re: Suggestions for ROC and youth groups

  • From: "Jim - TFJ" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 09:12:00 -0700

I don't know, we have seen some big rockets, even NASA ones, turn rather
nimbly...

However briefly.  ;-)

I don't consider it reasonable for a group to come out, turn the kids loose on
the club, and say "Have fun!"

What are some guidelines that we can produce for the groups that attend?

Scouting Roundtables (A monthly, district wide meeting of adult leaders) would
be

a great place to help educate the Scouting leaders as to what would be expected
when attending a launch,

or how to hold their own launch.   This could be conducted by a Scouting leader
who is involved on rocketry,

with some guidance by ROC as to flight line etiquette.  Maybe call it
ROCtiquette?

Add some basic stuff, like don't throw defunct rockets and trash in to the
porta potties!‼

The AV district holds our Roundtables on the second Tuesday, so there is still
time to squeeze something in

before Roctober.

If you would like to discuss this further off-chat, or on chat for that
matter...

jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jim G

From: lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 16:41:02 -0700
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It’s good to see a spirited discussion going on regarding the future of the
club.  It means that people care, and I’m all for that!  As the president of
the club (at least for a little while longer), I figured it might be a good
idea for me to speak up just a little, lest anyone out there think the board is
disengaged from this issue or is rigidly fixed on some particular agenda.

We think it is quite important that our members understand what issues the BOD
is actively discussing, debating and thinking about.  While we don’t
necessarily agree on every detail, the BOD collectively thinks it would be
unwise to change any major operating characteristics of the club without
careful deliberation, ample feedback and plenty of advance notice of any
changes.  That alone limits the scope of changes we can implement as soon as
this coming October.  It takes at least a few months for any major changes to
occur, given that we only have the chance to talk and interact as a board a
couple times a month.  However in light of that fact, we can outline some basic
principles that we think have served the club well and we will strive to follow.

The ROC BOD is not considering fundamental changes to our club’s founding
principle of supporting LPR, MPR and HPR activities equally (whatever “equally
means!).  For many of us, LPR has served as the gateway to high power
activities, and the intermediate MPR level is a crucial training ground for
those flyers of all ages who are increasing the power of their flights.

Now what the BOD *IS* considering is how we can effectively handle large
launches in which the preponderance of participants are not experienced in
rocketry.  Our first consideration always has to be safety, and with limited
volunteer resources we have to make sure that the demand for our launches is
proportionately matched to the available help.  This discussion is definitely
not about scouts versus other groups, or about LPR versus HPR, or even about
ROCtober versus regular launches.  It distracts the discussion away from
constructive dialog to frame it in terms of “us versus them” type conflicts,
and we don’t as a board consider it productive to engage in divisive either-or
debates.

So let’s keep the good ideas coming and we’ll all try to come down on the side
of being constructive.  And it helps to remember that the BOD usually can’t
turn on a dime… it’s a big old Saturn V we’re trying to steer and it takes a
while after you gimbal those engines to see a change in course.  Thanks for
your understanding and ideas!

Greg Lyzenga
ROC President - NAR #13295 / Tripoli #12088