[roc-chat] Re: ROC's July Launch is this Saturday

  • From: Mike & Nancy Kramer <kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, roc-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 18:32:22 -0700

Anyone planning to stay Saturday night?

Mike Kramer

On 7/10/2014 4:49 PM, Gregory Lyzenga wrote:
Fellow ROC Members,

This is our monthly announcement that this Saturday (July 12, 2014) is the next ROC Launch. The current projections for the upcoming weekend call for hot and sunny weather. Overnight lows are expected to be in the upper 60's and daytime temps should be in the high 90’s to 100’s. At this time, winds look to be northwesterly and low to moderate in strength. As usual it is expected the best conditions will be in the early morning, with wind speeds gradually increasing after mid-morning. Be sure to bring (and drink) plenty of water to avoid dehydration, and wear a hat, sunglasses, and sunblock to avoid getting burned. If you set up a sun shelter, be sure to secure it from being damaged or carried away by the occasional dust devils that visit our site on many summer afternoons. We are expecting our regular food vendor (Two Guys and a Grille) to be in attendance, in addition to our rocketry vendors (Bay Area Rocketry and Discount Rocketry).

The ROC Trailer will be on-site for Friday setup.
If you're planning to camp out consider coming out early, and help with setup! If you've never done it before, don't be shy! We'll be happy to show you the ropes, and it's a great way to get to know your fellow ROCers.

Special notes regarding this month’s launch: We are expecting a largish group of school-age kids who will be there for their first rocket-flying experience. They will have their own dedicated prep and check-in area so they shouldn’t adversely impact our regular range operations. Please make them feel welcome and if you can think of any way to make things run more smoothly, please pitch in. We do not presently plan to set up our large (Level 3) launch pad; if you have need for the large pad or have any flight requiring unusual support, please contact us ASAP so that we can plan accordingly.

Volunteers are always needed to work shifts of Range Duty. Again, don't be
shy!  We're happy to help you learn, and the same thing I said about
helping with setup still holds true: volunteering is a GREAT way to get to
know your fellow ROCers! (And please stick around on Saturday afternoon to
help with tear-down, too.)

As always, camping is allowed and encouraged. Per BLM rules, all campfires
must be in above-ground containers, and you should plan to haul out all of
your wood debris and ashes when you leave.

*** GENERAL INFO ***
Non-member daily launch fee is $15 and the paid-up member fee is $5. Everybody needs to register and get a wrist band to fly. All participants and spectators need to sign a liability waiver. Please be aware of the requirement to follow all safety rules and procedures while attending the launch, and make sure that children are supervised by a responsible adult at all times. Overnight camping is allowed as usual, but be sure to keep all campfires in above-ground containers to comply with BLM rules, and pack your ashes and wood debris out with you when you leave. Let's always try to leave the playa a little cleaner than we found it. Portable toilets should be delivered on site by Friday to support overnight campers and setup.

Let's fly rockets!  We'll see you on the lake bed!

Greg Lyzenga
ROC President and Board Member - NAR #13295 / Tripoli #12088