[roc-chat] ROC Launch Report - July 2014

  • From: Gregory Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 22:01:15 -0700

ROC Launch Report - July 2014

On July 12, 2014, ROC held its regular monthly launch at Lucerne Dry Lake.  It
was a well attended launch with low to non-existent winds throughout the day
and warm summer temperatures peaking just over 100 °F.   Altogether, a total of
229 flights were logged between about 8:00 am and 2:00 pm, with the following
breakdown by impulse:

subA - 2
A - 6
B - 116 (!)
C - 20
D - 12
E - 7
F - 8
G - 11
H - 24
I - 13
J - 8
K - 0
L - 2

Thanks to the leadership of ROC member Richard Dierking, the range was set up
and running smoothly on time to take advantage of the good morning flying
hours.  Although the conditions were hot as the day progressed, we enjoyed some
of the best flying weather for quite some time, with even high altitude flights
landing close to the pads.  As usual, a good number of certification flights
were attempted, most of them successful.  10 NAR Level 1 cert attempts were
made, as well as one NAR Level 2 and one Tripoli Level 1.

The large number of B impulse flights was thanks to the junior high summer camp
group, hosted by Bob and Jann Koepke.  The large group was managed smoothly and
efficiently, having their own check-in line and prep area.  The launch was a
big success for them and they got a good first taste of rocketry.  Thanks to
all the ROC members who made it a positive experience for all.

There were a lot of good mid-power and high power flights throughout the
morning and early afternoon.  Sam Atwood had some nice flights of his Edmonds
R/C boost glider.  Brian Sutton had a lot of flights of various shapes and
sizes.  H and I motors dominated the high power proceedings, with noteworthy
flights from a list of ROC regulars, including Mike Ostby, Allen Farrington,
Bill Farr, Jay Easley, Gary Schneider, Phil Laisure, Bob Shepherd, Shane
Barbao, Neal Hunstein and many others.  Neal’s Cherokee J on a long-burn J90
was a fun one to watch.  A number of successful two-stage flights were also
made.

On the high end of the impulse scale, Andrew Wimmer’s Light Saber on a CTI L645
was a great flight off the big pad.  The only other L flight of the day was Cal
Poly Pomona’s Phoenix on an L1150 booster.  It was supposed to stage to a K185
sustainer, but the upper stage did not ignite.  Everything recovered fine, and
on the bright side, they still have a K motor to fly!

ROC would like to thank everyone who made this launch a success, and who
volunteered their time and effort to setting up and tearing down.  We couldn’t
put on these launches without that kind of help.  Also, a big shout out to our
faithful vendors, Bay Area Rocketry, Discount Rocketry, and Two Guys and a
Grill, without whose support we would be in big trouble.  Thanks!  We look
forward to seeing everyone at our next monthly launch.  In the meantime, ROC
board members and founding members will be meeting to discuss the future of the
club and strategic planning.  Please let a board member know if you have ideas
for the club, and please consider becoming a board member yourself.  See you
next month!

Greg Lyzenga
ROC President - NAR #13295 / Tripoli #12088