[roc-chat] Re: Interested in Sonic Boom Sound

  • From: Richard Dierking <richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 09:34:34 -0700

This was definitely a pop sound.  I've heard that people have climbed to
the top of the near-by mountain to see if they could hear the rockets
passing mach and had no luck hearing anything like this.  I lived between
Mojave and Rosemond when I was a kid and heard the sonic booms of the
airplanes from Edwards AFB echoing off the mountains.  But these were large
aircraft moving horizontal to the ground.

Also, wouldn't any reflection from the mountain be directed mostly upward?

This is not a case of I didn't see it until I believed it ;-) because I
didn't believe you could hear something like this until last Sunday.

Richard