[roc-chat] Re: Interested in Sonic Boom Sound

  • From: Lakestake Rocketry <lakestake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 18:18:24 -0700

Kurt, Google "speed of sound".  ;)

A pop heard half a second after burnout at an average temperature of 25
degrees C travels at approximately 346m/sec.

If the event occurred at a altitude of 340 meters the pop would have
happened 1/2 second before burnout and been heard half a second after (give
or take the spedd of light).  If burnout was higher it happened even
earlier.

Matt