[roc-chat] Re: High Alt, Multi-staging, and Balloon Structure

  • From: Mike Riss <rockt_dude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 02:07:03 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 6/24/12, Richard Dierking <richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I got the high-alt bug at BALLS last year.  I saw some multi-stage
> projects attempt to reach high-alt, and they all didn't seem to do too
> well.

I'm not trying to knock BALLS or any of the projects that fly there, but is
that event really representative of "high-alt" flights?  It may just be a(n)
(untrue) stereotype, but it seems to me like BALLS is more geared towards
research motors and/or very large rockets.  You might want to look at XPRS for
projects that are more representative of your goal.  Also check out the
different forums for threads on rockets used for altitude attempts.  And, check
out the "Rocket Mavericks" too.

That being said, if your interest is more towards a new build technique, with
the "high-alt" bug more of a motivating factor rather than the main goal, you
could do some small-scale testing and see how things pan out.  That's how I got
into working with composites, and I've enjoyed it for more than 10 years now
:-)

Mike