[rhillsqd] Re: Flag

  • From: "Larry Gaum" <lgaum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rhillsqd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:35:13 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arno Dickertmann" <arno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rhillsqd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 8:22 AM
Subject: [rhillsqd] Re: Flag

>I do not want you to think that I am a freeloader and want something for
>nothing.

Permit me to interject and add my 2 cents worth here.
If I read the letter from member Arno correctly, he seems to expect that as
a member, our squadron should provide him with a new flag gratis.
I definitely don't agree!
First of all, membership fees for belonging to CPS are approximately $30 per
year.  I don't think this amount would break anybodies bank account,
especially a member who owns a boat.  I don't think $30 is unreasonable
considering that many other organizations, clubs and associations charge a
hell of a lot more.  The last time I checked , going to a movie costs more
than $30.
Second of all, our organization can't afford to hand out flags for nothing,
and even if it could, as a Past Commander and member for 25 years, I would
vote it down.  Why?  Because it is unreasonable to ask a small NOT -FOR
PROFIT_Squadron to do so.
Thirdly, I have taught the Boating course for 20 years, and never received a
dime in payment.  I teach because I wanted to give something back to my
Squadron and Organization, for providing me with a wealth of knowledge,
information, camaraderie and boating expertise.  They didn't ask for
anything in return but were pleased that I wanted to volunteer my time to
teach others.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't seem to recall Arno
doing anything for the Squadron or donating his time to help out.
All members of our Squadron receive correspondence from our bridge and from
Headquarters.  CPS and our Squadron maintain Web sights that offer an
abundance of up to date information along with our forum.  They also receive
free, the Boating Magazine which includes everything from CPS.  If Arno
hasn't taken advantage of all of this.....Is it the Squadron's fault?
A Free Flag?   Not on your tintype!
P/C Larry Gaum JN

     List Home page
//www.freelists.org/webpage/rhillsqd