[real-eyes] Re: bard error message

  • From: Steven Clark <kcpadfoot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 20:55:32 -0500

This is a very good question.
I looked into the issue and what is happening is your browser checks a
site that is secure to make sure the certificate it has is valid.  Sites
can receive a security certificate from verisign and other known issuer
places.
What is actually happening when you go to the bard site to login is your
browser sees that the security certificate is not real, letting you know
that it is not safe to go there.  The info that is on the certificate on
the bard site shows it was signed or issued by the web site and not a
real place that issues these certificates.

I would, and am going to do this too, stay away from the bard site at
least until Monday when someone in charge of the site is around to check
into this issue.

We don't know what could be waiting on the other side of this or after
you login to bard.

It may be all related to a simple error on the behalf of the webmaster
or it could be something malicious that is going on.
I'll play it safe,
Below is the message I get in firefox for anyone interested
Steve

This Connection is Untrusted
You have asked Firefox to connect securely to nlsbard.loc.gov
, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted
identification
to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's
identity can't
be verified.
What Should I Do?
If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could
mean that
someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.
Get me out of here!
Technical Details
nlsbard.loc.gov uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.
The certificate is only valid for
localhost.localdomain
(Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)