[racktables-users] Re: SNMP

  • From: "Julson, Jim" <jjulson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:23:01 +0000

1. Can i reforce the SNMP scan ?
For example i want to see new firmware versions or new modules in the switches.

The script is set to run once when you first add an object.  The only way I've
found to do it is to remove that object, and then re-add it.  Unfortunately,
that can mean losing all of your work on that object.  If there is a way,
perhaps to reset a flag in the database, I'm unaware.  Perhaps this would be a
good feature request to have them add-in the "SNMP-Sync" button to manually
scan when you want.

2. Is it possible to extend the SNMP part to other devices ?
I want to prefill the properties of a Server or VM with an SNMP request to this
host.

All things are possible....with code.  I know, that's not helpful, but I've run
into a similar quandary and haven't been able to do much about it.  As of this
point, the SNMP seems to be pretty isolated to just the Network gear.  If you
have the OID of a given model number, and the PHP Script to walk the MIB for a
particular OID, you could pre-fill any fields you want.  But again, it would
take more code.