[racktables-users] Re: How to express components of objects?

  • From: Kaiwang Chen <kaiwang.chen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 13:34:38 +0800

2013/3/5 Matthew Castanien <mcastanien@xxxxxxxxx>

> Kaiwang,
>
> I track basic HDD info by adding two new attributes and associating them
> to the "server" object.  The two attributes are "Num. HDD bays", an
> unsigned integer, and "Num. HDDs", a string.  Below is how we fill in the
> information. These figures are searchable, and a quick way for us to be
> able to see how many disks, their speed and size, are installed. If you had
> the same configurations on multiple servers, you could just create these as
> dictionary items and make them dropdowns. Hope this helps.

How can you tell whick disks are rather old, when you would like to plan to
get some ready to defend against the time-consuming purchase workflow in
case of any disk failure? In my cases, many servers are repurposed, and
disks are regrouped to meet new requirements, making things a little mass.

 In addition, I also want to describe the physical metrics of disks,
because servers may have different drive slots.

I guess it is possible to define some more attributes, but in my opinion it
is natural to provide component-level abstraction to aid analysis. What's
your opinion?